Postby RaymondFish » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Paulo, this reads like my life over the last 16 years I've been a smoker. You hit the nail on the head about filling those 4-5 minutes 10-20 times a day. That is THE hardest thing to do. The occasional craving while drinking, after eating, or whatever you standard is, will subside after a couple of weeks. I was able to quit for almost two years however one bad day at work caused everything to crumble. It's not impossible and definitely know you can do it.

I too got sick during IPL and since have had a terrible time breathing and smoking has not helped. This post is strange as I had already committed to myself that today would be the day I quit. I quit drinking and drugging 22 months ago which is the longest period in 16 years. Now is the time for cigarettes. One thing that's helped me get sober is getting to a 'threshold'. So let's say after a month of not smoking, you keep it in your head how disappointed you'd be if you had to start all over again. Once you go way beyond that, it'll be easier cause hell, you've gone a year without smoking why would you start again? Sounds odd, but it's all mental.

As with Ret, I know the community is behind you and will support you. Stay strong. <3

Postby tswall » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:51 pm

CatZ I have really enjoyed watching you stream for the past two years. I'm way too old to be as "into" this game as I am, but I consider myself a big Root fan. You and Drewbie seem like great guys that add a lot of fun to the competitive community. Hearing that you quit smoking really made my day. My "real" job involves dealing very intimately with people who have done horrible things to their bodies from years of smoking, and I'll tell you that quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself and your future life.

My suggestion about what to do with your 4 minutes is to keep doing it and just replace the smoking with ONE thing (like eating a carrot or some other mindless task) and do that one thing every time while continuing to enjoy your 4 minutes.

Postby Acurus » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 am

Good luck!

Some tips from someone who have quit.

I would get some nicotine replacement stuff for the first few weeks. I used nicotine gum to hold off the abstinence when they got to heavy. Started out using around 3-4 a day, but was down to maybe one a day after the first week. And no more after about two weeks.
Don't follow what the box says, that's way way way more than you need.

Remember that it is much easier to quit, than it is to not start again.

I "quit" 3-4 times (Not smoking for 2+months) and started up again. It's weird how I managed to justify to my self that I could take a sig. And then another, and another and another etc.
Be aware of that when you get over the initial abstinence part of quitting!

Postby Virus » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 am

Best of luck CatZ.

Return to General Discussion