New Map Analysis!

Will be removed.
Forum rules
This forum is reserved for announcements, event information and forum-wide stickies. Users may reply to posts but may not make new threads.

Postby ROOTSasquatch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 am

So three maps were just added to the WCS and ladder map pools and I decided to take a look at the two that I haven't had any experience playing on since they haven't been in any tournaments yet, Daedalus Point and Heavy Rain LE. These were just notes I took while testing out the maps.

Daedalus Point

While this map might be decent for some matchups, it's very clearly an almost unplayable map right now for Protoss in PvZ. The extremely large natural ramp makes it realistically impossible to wall off properly, which means it's very hard (maybe impossible?) to forge expand or 1gate expand (the two most common openers in the current meta) as if zerg opens with any aggression (namely 14/14) you just flat out die. Here I marked the only really good overlord spots on the map with red x's, and what I think the natural base progression will be for any race/matchup, 1 being the spawn locations and and 2-4 being the expansion order.

The entrance to the main is pretty typical, and comparable to derelict when dealing with reapers as you can only enter the main base from the natural, but the distance between the main and natural is quite far.

Because of that distance and the fact that it's nearly impossible to have any proper walloff, it's more or less impossible to go gasless in ZvZ, you pretty much have to open fast speed or some kind of early aggression.

It's pretty hard to wall off the natural....

Sage's best attempt at a wall off that you would use in PvZ, and his thoughts on the map. This walloff is fairly reminiscent of some of the older SC2 maps where you'd always have to have a second cannon near the mineral line, but nowadays I think playing like that just puts you behind against hatch gas pool openers where the zerg takes a fast third. Not to mention that it's almost impossible to cannon rush on this map as there is no where good to place pylons to protect the cannon as it's building.

Heavy Rain LE

This is a pretty interesting map that has a fairly long distance between the main bases and lots of fairly narrow paths all over the map. I once again marked the most common base order, although it's slightly less clear which third you should take on this map and I've seen both the bases being marked "3" and "4" chosen. In red I marked all of the high ground locations on the map, the ones in the middle of the map being small cliffs with plants on them which are more or less only useful for overlords. The blue is also high ground, but it's at the same level as the main base which means that flying units can't hide there if a unit has vision of it from the main bases.

Here's a picture of one of those plants, they're pretty as overlord positions during certain parts of the game but otherwise not of much use.

Another thing of note on this map is the extremely large cliff around the main which is pretty comparable to Yeonsu or Star Station, which means it's pretty good for reapers and blink allins :D

The natural is pretty big and there isn't really any good cannon rush spots behind the mineral line.

Thanks for reading!
@ROOTSasquatch
ROOTSasquatch

Return to Events and Announcements