ROOTCaliber: The Ginger We Deserve

Will be removed.
Forum rules
This forum is reserved for announcements, event information and forum-wide stickies. Users may reply to posts but may not make new threads.

Postby kezz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:09 pm

CatZ says:
First time I played Caliber, he played under the id 'PicNic'. This was over 2 years ago and he was really bad - he picked random and all he did every game was all-in. I instantly hated him, without ever really knowing him. A few months later, as 'Caliber' and playing Protoss, his improvement was incredible. Since then, and for the past 1-2 years, Pat and I have become good friends, but most importantly - at least for this occassion - he has kept improving while going under the radar. He has had impressive finishes at MLGs, beat great players at IPL and has managed to stay at the top of the NA ladder for a while.

Now, Caliber has refused ROOT to stay with his friends and LighT twice before this. Last time I asked... he ALMOST joined. We talked at IPL and I tried to convince him, but in the end, he decided his loyalty to LighT was more important and despite liking and being friends with a lot of people in ROOT, opted to stay in LighT, despite it being a "sinking ship". I respected his decision, as that is the kind of person I'd want (and I know I have) in ROOT.

Needless to say, I asked a third time - record breaking, really. This time, despite having other offers, he opted to come to ROOT, where I have no doubt he'll find a new home. As a member of our team, you can expect great things from Pat. He will start playing more regularly, and after his school's done, he plans on going full-time. At that point he'll be, without a doubt, the most feared Ginger to ever set foot in the world...of StarCraft.

Welcome home, Caliber.

Name: Patrick ‘Caliber’ Coury
Race: Protoss
Born: USA, to Irish and Lebanese parents
Languages: English and some Spanish
Occupation: Student (University of Washington), Amateur SC2 player
Favorite TV series: Arrested Development
Favorite movie: Saving Private Ryan
E-Sports Idol: Go)Space or th000 (WarCraft 3 legends)
MLG or GSL: GSL
Favorite Music/Artist: Alternative Rock/Gorillaz

Welcome to ROOT, Caliber!

Thank you! I'm happy to have found such a good home after LighT died. ROOT is extremely talented and I am excited to play under their tag.

We’re happy to have you. For all fans of Caliber, new and old, we’ll kick things off with a few quick trivia questions. Firstly, who is your favorite personality from the StarCraft universe?

I am actually not much of a StarCraft player to be honest. Growing up I never played StarCraft or StarCraft: Brood War. Rather, I played Command & Conquer, Red Alert and Warcraft.
If I had to answer, I would say Nova, because she is a cutie pie.

She is indeed. How has your week been so far with the Heart of the Swarm Launch? Did you do anything interesting?

Today, the 13th, I went to a local Microsoft Store HotS release tournament and took 1st, winning $75 and some other swag provided there. Besides this, I got my account into Masters after going 20-5. I will probably play the campaign over Spring break once my finals are done.

Congratulations! So can we tell everyone you’re the first official HotS tournament winner?

Thanks! Haha, no, silly. The tournament would have to be full of pros to be considered a real tournament. This one just had a few local NA GMs.

Any notable names?

The best players are Aiur and CCalms, two low GM Protoss players. Besides that, just a bunch of high Master patch-zergs from my CSL team - University of Washington.

OK, time to get serious. What are your thoughts on ROOT Gaming compared to other teams around the world?

ROOT has always been a strong team; however, their recent win over FXO KR in IPTL really caught my attention. Beating FXO, who just won two GSTLs, is no small feat. Our roster is really strong and well-rounded, albeit a little Protoss heavy. We are easily one of the best foreign teams and we are definitely capable of competing with Korean teams.

Is there anything in particular that you think sets ROOT apart from others, or do the results speak for themselves?

The results speak for themselves, although, the team chemistry seems really strong on ROOT. I believe this sets ROOT apart from other teams around the world. Despite the fact that there is no team house, ROOT has this feeling of being a family. Confirmed bros.

Who is your favorite player on ROOT, and why?

Favorite? Tough call. CatZ is pretty cool. He gave me some money so I could get a cab to the airport at IPL5 after I lost my cash gambling.

He sure is a great guy. Will you be sticking with Protoss for competitive Heart of the Swarm?

Most likely. I will still dabble with random, so if I feel like changing to the flavor the week that could be a possibility.

What is your view on the new units?

The Oracle is really annoying. Goswser owned me with Swarm Hosts. I thought Swarm Hosts were overpowered at first, but they are manageable.

And what are your plans and goals for competitive StarCraft for 2013?

My plans and goals for 2013 are to become more well-known. I have one year left in university and have decided that travelling to events will be less of a concern for me than in 2012. I understand that playing part-time will prevent me from ever winning a major tournament. With that being said, I want to focus on the personal aspects of competitive StarCraft. In other words, I want to focus more on the following: my skill level, improving my mechanics, obtaining a good mindset, and streaming. I think streaming would be a fun way to practice StarCraft, something not so boring. Hopefully I can provide an entertaining stream and gain a following.

We’ve all seen firsthand the impacts that the streaming revolution has had on competitive gaming, and it’s definitely opened up avenues for players to interact with the community and build a fan base. What are you studying at university?

I am majoring in Philosophy and minoring in Classics.

How did you become interested in that area of study?

I suppose I just enjoyed thinking about things in a very detailed way ever since I was younger. I always questioned things and thought about the meaning of life, beauty, etc.

Has it impacted on your gaming career at all?

Interesting question. I do not think it has directly influenced anything, but I do 'think' about the game more than I practice it. For most of my matches, I just sit there and visualize how the game will go, as opposed to grinding out a specific build. Everything I do is freestyled.

I personally have always admired players who have the ability to play that way at a high level. Now for something completely different, how did you pick the alias 'Caliber'?

When I was young, my mother decorated my room and the only creative space I could have was this cork board on the wall. I would cut out pictures from video game magazines and post them on the board. When I was trying to find a gamer tag for Xbox Live I looked over at my board and saw a cool Soul Calibur poster. Despite the fact I had never played that game, I decided to go with the name. It was taken, so I used 'Calabur'. Eventually, it turned in to Caliber in SC2.

It definitely has a solid ring to it. Are you going to stick with it forever?

Definitely for now. I dislike the fact that it is a common English word, but I have had it for so long it is kind of sentimental. Maybe someday I will change it to something more "me".

Haha, you're probably not the only Caliber playing games on the internet, but certainly the most famous. It's certainly been a pleasure to talk with you, Patrick, so I'd like to thank you for your time! Have you got anything else you'd like to say?

I would like to thank everyone for reading this interview, ROOT for picking me up, and all of our sponsors for supporting e-sports – DAS Keyboards, Rush Order Tees, AverMedia and Twitch!

You can find ROOTCaliber's personal stream here.

You can also find it, along with our other players' streams, over in The Burrow, or on the ROOT Gaming Twitch Team Page.

Follow ROOTCaliber on Twitter @ROOTCaliber and give his Facebook fan page a cheeky like.

ROOT4ROOT!

And now, 'Word Association' with ROOTCaliber:

Warhound – Imba
Browder – Rock
ROOT – Spine
Marine – Stim
Cheese - PicNic
Image Writer, ROOT Gaming.
ROOT4ROOT!
@kezzGG
kezz

Postby Brian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 pm

YEAA GORILLAZ :D
ur pro or ur noob , thats life - kiwikaki

Twitch - Boldbrian

SC2 NA - Brian.3174
Brian

Postby cchily13 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Sick pick-up!! Welcome Caliber!!
"A real warrior doesn't dash off after the next victory, nor throw a fit when experiencing a loss. A real warrior ponders the next battle."-Elite Four Grimsley
cchily13

Postby xvincx » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:54 pm

welcome to ROOT Macklemore.....

xvincx

Postby alundra » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 am

I really liked the interview! Welcome to ROOT!
alundra

Postby jpham9210 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 am

good deals! more players !
Paradiddle Paradiddle Diddle Put-Da-da Put-Da-da Boom!

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who say it, no matter if I (Buddha) have said it, unless it agrees with your own logic and our own common sense." - The Buddha
jpham9210

Return to Events and Announcements